The South Carolina Football Hall of Fame (SCFHOF) has announced the Top 15 finalists for their Class of 2017. The final round of voting is active until Sunday, January 15, 2017.
Back in September, a ballot of 50 nominees was opened with a space for four potential write-ins. All eligible candidates had ties to South Carolina through participation in one of the 14 in-state collegiate football programs or were born in and/or raised in South Carolina.
The vote was determined by the sports media, the SCFHOF Board of Advisors and Directors, and supporting members of the SCFHOF via an online ballot. After round one of the vote, these are the 15 finalists:
- John Abraham- Timmonsville/U of SC: 100 sacks Club (NFL)
- Felix “Doc” Blanchard- McColl/Army: Only South Carolina born Heisman Trophy Winner
- Jeff Bostic- Clemson University: 3 x Super Bowl Champion (Washington Redskins)
- Robert Brooks- Greenwood/U of SC: Super Bowl XXXI Champion (Green Bay Packers)
- Charlie Brown- Charleston/SC State: Super Bowl XVII Champion (Washington Redskins)
- Dwight Clark- Clemson: 2 x Super Bowl Champion (San Francisco 49ers)
- Stephen Davis- Spartanburg/Auburn: NFC rushing leader in 1999 & 2001
- Fisher Deberry- Cheraw/Wofford: Took Air Force to 12 bowl games as Head Coach
- Steve Fuller- Enid, OK/Spartanburg/Clemson: His number 4 was retired at Clemson
- Bobby Johnson- Columbia/Clemson: Head Coach of Furman (2 So-Con Championships) and Vanderbilt
- Levon Kirkland- Lamar/Clemson: NFL 1990’s All-Decade Team (Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Stump Mitchell- The Citadel: Citadel leading rusher in single season and career yards, 10 year NFL career
- Robert Porcher- Wando/SC State: 1st Round NFL Draft Pick & 3 x All-Pro (Detroit Lions)
- Dick Sheridan- U of SC: Head Coach of Furman (6 So-Con Championships) and NC State
- Steve Spurrier- Miami Beach, FL: Head Coach of South Carolina (3 straight 11 win seasons)
To learn more about the SCFHOF, and/or to become a voting member, visit www.scfootballhof.org.