January is National Mentoring Month, and Reading Partners is encouraging community members to join its efforts to provide students in under-resourced schools with the tutoring and mentorship they need to become proficient readers by the fourth grade.
Reading Partners aims to serve 750 students in Charleston, Berkeley, and Florence counties during the 2016-17 school year. Currently, Reading Partners needs 200 more tutors in order for each of the students to receive critical reading intervention twice a week.
Across South Carolina, only 20 percent of third graders from low-income families are reading at grade level. Reading Partners volunteers utilize an easy-to-follow, individualized lesson plan each week, specific to their students’ needs in order to meet them at their level and help build both literacy skills and confidence.
Reading Partners South Carolina has an immediate need for volunteer tutors who can commit at least an hour a week to work with students in the following schools:
Charleston County School District
- Burns Elementary School - 3795 Spruill Avenue, North Charleston, SC, 29405
- Chicora Elementary School - 3100 Carner Avenue, North Charleston, SC 29405
- Goodwin Elementary School - 5501 Dorchester Road, North Charleston, SC 29418
- Malcolm C. Hursey Elementary School - 4542 Simms Street, North Charleston, SC 29405
- Mitchell Elementary School - 2 Perry Street, Charleston, SC 29403
- Pepperhill Elementary School - 3300 Creola Road, North Charleston, SC 29420
- Sanders-Clyde Elementary School - 805 Morrison Drive, Charleston, SC 29403
Berkeley County School District
- H.E. Bonner Elementary School - 171 Macedonia Foxes Cir, Moncks Corner, SC 29461
- Whitesville Elementary School - 324 State Rd S-8-357, Moncks Corner, SC 29461
To learn more, please email [email protected]
org or call (843) 860-3915. You can also visit http://readingpartners.org/