As I've mentioned previously, the shooting in Newtown, CT hit a little closer to home for me than previous tragedies of a similar nature. Between that and the massacre in Aurora, I began thinking about guns and their place in American culture. It's a topic I hadn't researched extensively or thought about much until now.
Although the following may make me appear to be completely against firearms, that is not the case. These are just some things I've found and figured I'd pass along. Many in Charleston have found themselves thinking about this issue, especially after North Charleston decided to station police officers at every elementary school.
I don't have the answers, but the numbers and stories found below are, at times, shocking and anger-inducing. Something has to be done. I'm not smart enough to know what needs to be fixed, but I know there's a problem with our country's culture and it needs to be fixed.
Prior To Newtown
- Since 1982, there have been at least 62 mass shootings (four or more dead) across the country.
- Twenty-five of these mass shootings have occurred since 2006.
- Of the 142 guns possessed by the killers, more than 3/4 were obtained legally.
- Sixty-eight were semiautomatic handguns, 35 assault weapons, 20 revolvers and 19 shotguns.
- There were 15 Mass Shootings (two or more dead) in 2012 in the US prior to the Newtown, CT tragedy.
- Weapons used include: .45-caliber pistol, 9mm Glock, .40-caliber Glock, and other semiautomatic handguns, 12-gauge Remington 870, and AR-15 assault rifle.
- The primary weapon used in the Newtown shooting was a Bushmaster semiautomatic rifle.
- Other weapons recovered: 10 mm Glock, 9 mm SIG Sauer handgun, shotgun
- 28 people were killed (including the shooter and his mother).
Shootings After Newtown
- Four volunteer firefighters shot, two killed while responding to fire in Webster, NY.
- Bushmaster semiautomatic rifle and a shotgun
- 2 dead in Sacramento New Year's Eve shooting.
- No info given on the gun involved
- A woman in Arizona accidentally shot and killed her 22-year-old brother while she posed for a Facebook photo with a gun.
- Info on gun not available
Gunman killed at Sullivan Central (Tenn)
- .380-caliber semi-automatic pistol
- Police: 4 dead, including gunman, in Aurora, Colo., hostage situation
- Info on gun not available
Charleston-area Shootings Since Newtown
- Police report: James Island man shot gun into air on New Year’s Day.
- .40-caliber Smith & Wesson
- Ravenel man dies after accidentally shooting himself while cleaning guns.
- Info on guns not available
- SLED charges Bennettsville man with shooting death of 8-year-old son.
- SC woman shoots self while seeking gun in purse.
- Info on gun not provided.
- Charleston police investigating downtown shooting (1/7/13).
- No info on gun involved.
- Alleged shooter: 15-year-old made fun of my sister (St. Stephen).
- No concrete info on the two guns used. Article mentions at least one was a pistol
Opinions, Reactions, Etc.
- Newspaper in NY publishes names and addresses of local gun owners and plans to do it again.
- The city of L.A. held a gun buyback event, which broke a record. Among the weapons turned in, were TWO ROCKET LAUNCHERS. Thankfully, they were not functional.
- Police officers placed at North Charleston elementary schools.
- Rep. Phillip Lowe (R-Florence) proposed a bill that would allow school employees with concealed weapons permits to bring their firearms into their respective schools.
- Senator Lee Bright (R-Spartanburg) has proposed a bill that would exempt South Carolina-made guns from federal rules.
- The clamor for gun control is about emotion and ideology, not reason (Charleston City Paper).
- CNN personality Piers Morgan, who is fiercely in favor of gun control, faced many angry viewers who would like him deported. NBC anchor David Gregory showed a high-capacity magazine on "Meet The Press," which sparked talk of him being arrested.
- A Colombian businessman said he would export bulletproof clothing for children to the United States.
- Mother Hiding with Kids Shoots Intruder - An argument against gun control.
- South Carolina's gun laws explained by The Post & Courier.
- Gabby Giffords launches group to counter gun lobby.
- 1/8/13: Georgetown school board unanimously approves officers in schools plan.