So...it turns out some Charleston-area bridges aren't what you would call "super safe." Specifically, seven bridges in Charleston County made AAA Carolina's list of the state's 20 most substandard bridges.
Here's a look at the county's guilty seven and where they placed on the list:
- I-26 over SC 7 in North Charleston (3)
- I-26 over Midland Park Rd. in North Charleston (6)
- US 17 over a CSX railroad track in North Charleston (7)
- SC 171 over Wappoo Creek, 1 mile south of James Island (8)
- US 17 over Ashley River in Charleston (16)
- US 17 over 17 Northbound to Coleman Blvd in Mt. Pleasant (17)
- SC 7 over Ashley River in North Charleston (18)
Most of the structures listed were at least 40 years old, but the bridge over the North Charleston railroad track was built just 8 years ago.
None of the bridges are scheduled to have repairs done at this time.
You can view the state's entire list here.