Today's Post & Courier features a front page story regarding the salaries of area superintendents. The publication also lists the top 5 earners in select counties and asks if those leaders are worth the cost.
You can read the entire article here (assuming you have an online subscription).
Salaries (info from Post & Courier's 7/21/13 issue)
National/Regional Averages for Superintendents' Salaries
- $226,651 - National Average for districts with more than 25,000 students (All districts listed, except Dorchester 2 & 4, are above this threshold).
- $163,666 - Average for districts in the Southeast, including SC
- $161,992 - National Average for all districts
Area Salaries with comparisons
- $223,022 - Nancy McGinley, Charleston County Superintendent
- $219,305 - William Royster, Jr. - Greenville County Superintendent
- $211,191 - Cynthia Elsberry - Horry County Superintendent
- $169,621 - Bill Lewis, Charleston County Chief Operating Officer
- $167,123 - Joe Pye, Dorchester 2 Superintendent
- $163,800 - Rodney Thompson, Berkeley County Superintendent
- $162,816 - Charleston Mayor Joseph Riley, Jr.
- $124,400 - Sean Alford, Dorchester 2 Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and instruction
- $122,400 - Linda Huffman, Dorchester 2 Assistant Superintendent of Personnel and Administration
- $106,078 - Governor Nikki Haley
- $106,000 - Jerry Montjoy, Dorchester 4 Superintendent
- $92,007 - Mick Zais, SC Department of Education Superintendent