This Day in Charleston History
On this day in 1886, the “Great Earthquake” leveled Charleston. To this day, it remains the most damaging quake to ever hit the southeast with around $6 million worth of damage done to about 2,000 buildings. That total would equate to over $100 million in damages today.
The earthquake, which began at 9:50 pm, also claimed the lives of 60 Charlestonians (although some estimates are as high as 110). Those facts are even more shocking considering the earthquake lasted less than a minute and was felt as far away as Boston, Chicago, and Cuba. Although the duration of the event was short, it was clearly quite powerful.
Estimates place the quake between a 6.6 and a 7.3 on the Richter scale.
- More than 300 aftershocks related to the 1886 earthquake occurred over a 35 year period.
- Small craters and fissures were found throughout the area.
- The earthquake led to the construction of “earthquake bolts” that can be seen on buildings throughout the city. The bolts are long iron rods that run through walls for reinforcement. They are anchored with a washer-type device and a large iron nut.
- Their effectiveness has never been tested
- Multiple fires resulted from the quake.
- Water line and wells were ruptured.
- With many houses destroyed, “tent cities” popped up in public parks like Washington Square.
- Some of the damage is still visible today.
- Damage photos and more here.
Gogo Jewelry & Hannah Carnegie Pop-Up Show at Garden & Gun’s Fieldshop
Gogo Ferguson and her daughter Hannah Sayre-Thomas are returning to Garden & Gun’s Fieldshop at the Dewberry Hotel in downtown...
Preservation Society will Offer Lineup of Diverse Tours and Events this May
The Gibbes Museum Celebrates Japanese Art with Two Special Exhibitions
Ohm Radio Announces Farewell to Workshop Party
New Nonprofit Addressing Trauma to Host Launch Event on April 18th
Edmund’s Oast and Kings Leaf Cigars Partnering for “The Palmetto Puff” Fuente Cigar Dinner
Hermosa Jewelry and Brown Fox Coffee Partner for April Artisan Market
Uncategorized3 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
Uncategorized1 year ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
Site Updates3 years ago
HCS Patreon Supporters
Uncategorized9 months ago
How to Use Instagram For Your Music Career?
Charity6 years ago
Charleston Nonprofits & Charities
Resources8 years ago
Resources8 years ago
Do You Speak Charleston? Pronunciation Guide
Events1 day ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend