We're No. 1! We're No. 1! We're No. 1!
But...also No. 5, which is still incredible!
For the third consecutive year, the Holy City has been named the "Top City in the United States" in Conde Nast Traveler's Readers' Choice Awards. Sadly, Charleston did slip from the top spot to fifth in 2013's "Top 25 Cities in the World" category. Mexico's San Miguel de Allende took this year's No. 1 ranking.
The magazine's annual accolades have been around since 1986 and are based on each city's rankings in six categories – Atmosphere, Culture, Friendliness, Lodging, Restaurants, and Shopping.
Conde Nast Traveler said of Charleston:
With "sand, sun, history, good food, and friendly people," Charleston is a consistent hit with the travelers who venture to this "gracious and beautiful" city.
Santa Fe, New Mexico followed Chucktown on the U.S. list, while Savannah checked in at No. 9. You can view the full rankings here.
Other honors for Charleston included:
- Kiawah Island earned the No. 4 designation in the "Top Island in the World" category (Hilton Head came in at No. 21).
- The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort being named the No. 4 "Best Resort in the South."
- The Wild Dunes Resort on Isle of Palms earning the No. 16 spot on the same list.
- A few area hotels placed on the "Top 100 Hotels & Resorts in the World" listing:
- 11: Inn at Palmetto Bluff, Bluffton
- 75 (tie): Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
- 75 (tie): Wentworth Mansion
- 99 (tie): John Rutledge House Inn
- The Inn at Palmetto Bluff in Bluffton was the "Top Hotel & Resort in the United States."
- A separate category dedicated to the "Top 10 Hotels in Charleston." Wentworth Mansion earned the top designation.
You can view all of the Readers' Choice Awards here.
The Charleston Area Convention and Visitors Bureau has already released a video regarding the honor.