Shepard Fairey-mania has taken over the Holy City ahead of the Spoleto Festival. The artist has been leaving his mark around Charleston as part of the Halsey Institute's 30th anniversary.
Fairey is a Charleston native whose parents still live and work in the area. He is best known for his "André the Giant Has a Posse" (later "Obey Giant") street art and the 2008 Barack Obama "Hope" campaign poster.
Fairey's notoriety has drummed up some excitement in Charleston as residents continue to locate his street art. Here's a list of each piece and where it was spotted:
The "Green Power" mural on the front of the College Lodge Residence Hall (near the corner of Calhoun and St. Philip Streets)
- The "Power & Glory" mural on Tivoli (by Butcher & Bee and High Wire Distilling Co.)
- An 18-foot by 24-foot mural of his famous OBEY Giant logo is on top of the Francis Marion Hotel.
- A square mural on the King Street Groucho's Deli.
- A neon "Power & Glory" sign and various artwork under the Sottile Theatre marquee.
- A version of the "Learn to Obey" print is on the former Ruben’s Menswear at 480 King St.
- An identical mural was removed from a building owned by The Post and Courier
- Another OBEY Giant logo on East Bay Street by the Missroon House.
- And yet another OBEY Giant logo on the back door of Lee Lee's Hot Kitchen.
- *UPDATE: 5/23/14*: A fourth OBEY Giant was seen at the base of the Ravenel Bridge.
- *UPDATE: 5/26/14*: A fifth OBEY Giant mural has been spotted on the old Indian Head Restaurant near the Holiday Inn and the Ashley River Bridges.
- *UPDATE: 5/26/14*: A sixth OBEY Giant mural was seen in Avondale near Gene's Haufbrau.
Fairey has a show at the Halsey entitled "The Insistent Image: Recurrent Motifs in the Art of Shepard Fairey and Jasper Johns." It opens tonight and will be available until July 12th. It is free and open to the public.
Still need convincing that Fairey has been the talk of the town? Here are some links to local media coverage:
Shepard Fairey explores empire and the American dream this Spoleto season (Charleston City Paper).
- Fairey appears on Marc Maron's WTF Podcast.
- Shepard Fairey leaves artistic mark on hometown (ABC News 4).
- Artist Shepard Fairey adding some flair to local art scene (Live 5 News).
Shepard Fairey's busy weekend in Charleston as seen via social media (Charleston City Paper).
Shepard Fairey Signed Prints on Sale Now (Charleston City Paper).
- Power & Glory Photo Album (Halsey's Facebook).