On Friday, Dr. Paul Roof said on his Facebook profile (right) that he had been fired from his position as Associate Professor of Sociology after his image appeared on cans of Holy City Brewing's Chucktown Follicle Brown beer. The brewery created the ale with the Holy City Beard & Moustache Society (HCBMS) ahead of the latter's appearance at the 4th Annual Southeastern Beard & Moustache Championships.
Roof, who is the founder of the HCBMS, was surprised when his image appeared on the can. He received no compensation and doesn't even own the image.
Roof told the Charleston City Paper, administrators at the university told him the picture was "not an image for the Christian environment and that it may seem to students that (he is) endorsing the use of alcohol." CSU is affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention, a group of churches that follow the Southern Baptist Convention.
Roof's supporters setup a donation page for the Lowcountry Women with Wings charity. Donations, which have already topped $3,000, will be made in Roof's name. The organization has previously received donations from HCBMS.
Here's a round-up of stories on this situation:
- Picture this: Charleston professor says he was fired after picture appeared on beer can (Live 5 News).
- Prof. says beard, beer got him canned at CSU (Post & Courier).
- Professor says CSU fired him for appearing on a beer can (Charleston City Paper).
- CSU professor fighting for job after image appears on beer can (News 2).
- College Professor Fired After His Amazing Beard Turned Up on a Beer Can (Gawker).
- Professor Gets Canned For Appearing on Beer Label (AOL Jobs).
- CSU Fires Professor for Appearing With a Weird Beard on a Beer Can (University Herald).