King Street's Blue Bicycle Books recently completed an extensive renovation, which should keep the store in tip-top shape for years to come.
According to a press release, the following changes were made:
- Installed new carpeting, shelving, ceilings, and lighting,
- Built a new point of sale area
- Removed the drop ceiling in the front room
- The walls in the front area were removed so the space now seats more than 50 people for readings and talks
- Fluorescent lighting was replaced with track lighting and modern pendants
- The children’s room doubled in size
- The food section was expanded
- A new hand-crafted wood counter was installed
- Exposed brick was added
- A new sound system was installed
- A display of 23 framed vintage bicycle posters were added
Blue Bicycle Books is located at 420 King Street in a brick building that was around 1940. It previously served as a print shop, ophthalmologist's office, and a deli before the book store opened in 1995.