During the event, Vietnam War veterans who served as Green Berets in the Army’s Special Forces unit will discuss how the United States came to rely on the Montagnards to help fight the North Vietnamese Army and the Viet Cong. The panel will also include Montagnards who fought in the war.
The symposium will begin at 7 pm inside the Smokey Stover Theater aboard the USS Yorktown. Both admission and parking are FREE.
Click here for more information.
Here's some quick info about the Montagnards (provided by Patriots Point):
- An estimated 61,000 Montagnards served in the Vietnam War
- The Montagnards were trained in unconventional warfare to defend against the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong
- 1/3 of the Montagnards that fought served beside Americans in mobile strike forces
- Since the war, the Montagnards have been given refugee status here in the United States
- Some have settled in N.C. near the Fort Bragg Army Base, however, many were never given a means to get here.
- Those left behind have been subject to imprisonment and various forms of oppression