One of the Holy City's greatest events will be held tomorrow at 4 pm. That's when the South Carolina Aquarium will hold one of the last sea turtle releases of the year.
As usual, the public is invited to attend the event, which will be held at the Isle of Palms County Park. Although viewing the release is free, attendees should plan to pay for parking at the county park.
This time around, three different species of sea turtles will be returned to the ocean. Here's a look at each:
- Found stranded on a sand bar at the south end of Pawleys Island
- Was weak, had marine leeches on the mouth, and was in need of medical treatment
- Like, Midway, Pawley was found stranded on Pawleys Island
- Had boat strike wounds and was emaciated
- Barnacle Bob
- Green turtle
- When found, he was severely emaciated, covered in barnacles, and suffering from injuries from a boat strike and shark attack.
- The picture to the right shows Bob both before and after his treatment
- Little Laddy
- Kemp’s ridley
- Was accidentally caught on a hook-and-line by a fisherman near the Morris Island Lighthouse. The turtle swallowed the large hook and, which led to its hospitalization