Last week, Chef Frank Lee of S.N.O.B. appeared on an episode of PBS’s A Chef’s Life. The show is a documentary and cooking series that follows Chef Vivian Howard as she visits with others in the food and beverage industry.
During his segment, Chef Lee shared a Gullah recipe for Clam Hash, which you can see the recipe for below. After the recipe, you can watch Lee’s clip from the program.
Chef Lee’s Clam Hash: Serves 4 people
- 12-16 medium to large clams (shells scrubbed, shucked raw, cleaned of muddy sack, chopped)
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6-8 saltine crackers
- 2 large tablespoons chopped parsley
- Soak clams in icy water. Scrub the shells and clean the clams of any muddy parts.
- Over a large bowl, shuck the clams (NOTE: I use a sharp knife and hand protection for this step).
- Separate the clams from the liquid. Be sure to remove any little pieces of shell from the shucking. Strain and reserve remaining juice to remove shell and grit. Save liquid. Chop the clams.
- Cook the bacon crisp in a large skillet (I like a 9-10” cast iron) – remove, reserve bacon. Pour off most of the fat and add the onion, cook until tender.
- Add the chopped clams and the juice. Bring to a quick simmer.
- Crumble the saltines in the hash to thicken – remove from heat.
- Just before serving, add the chopped parsley and crumble the bacon on top. Daisy would serve the hash over stone ground whole grits with soft scrambled eggs and sliced tomato.
Haley Mae Campbell Performing at Firefly Distillery on Memorial Day
Firefly Distillery is marking the unofficial start of summer with live music, Sweet Tea Vodka cocktails, and food trucks from...
Charleston Library Society Hosting Virtual Event with Julia Cooke and Catherine Grace Katz
Footlight Steps Back into the Spotlight with Queen Street Cabaret Series
Crowder to Play the Gaillard Center in November
Conroy Center Hosts Conversation with Travel Writers Bill Thompson and Lynn and Cele Seldon
Blue Bicycle Books to Host Book Release Party for Kate Fagan’s “All the Colors Came Out”
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
Uncategorized4 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
Uncategorized1 year ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
Site Updates3 years ago
HCS Patreon Supporters
Resources8 years ago
Do You Speak Charleston? Pronunciation Guide
Resources8 years ago
Charity6 years ago
Charleston Nonprofits & Charities
Food6 years ago
Charleston’s Food Trucks
Uncategorized10 months ago
How to Use Instagram For Your Music Career?