On Friday, July 22nd, speakers from multiple Charleston organizations will participate in a discussion with Ruben Austria, the Executive Director of Community Connections for Youth, a New York-based nonprofit organization that develops community-driven alternatives to incarceration. The event will be held at the Charleston County Public Library.
Speakers will engage in discussion about how system and community stakeholders can work together to reduce suspension rates and keep kids in school and out of the criminal justice system.
Besides Austria, panelists include:
- Crystalie Romero and Shaniqua West, Youth Leaders at Community Connections for Youth
- Terrell Pinckney, Behavioral Programs Administrator at Charleston County School District
- Jennifer Coker, Director of Alternative Programs at Charleston County School District
- Aleksandra Chauhan, Ph.D., JD., Assistant Public Defender, Richland County
- Micah Blaise and Anjali Naik, Girls Rock Charleston
To register for the free event, click here.