Nearly 40 African-American authors will visit Burke High School for the inaugural Black Ink: Charleston African American Book Festival on September 17th. The event will run from 1 pm to 5 pm and will feature a keynote address from Marcus Amaker, Charleston's first poet laureate.
Featured authors include:
- Alphonso Brown: Author of A Gullah Guide to Charleston: Walking Through Black History
- Mattie Sanders: Author of Look Beyond the Smile
- Damon Fordham: Author of True Stories of Black South Carolina
- Sherman Pyatt: Author of Burke High School (1894-2006), Charleston, SC
In addition, the event will also include:
- A workshop on writing and self-publishing
- Spoken Word Poetry Slam
- A panel featuring renowned African American authors
General admission to the event is FREE. Click here for more information.