One of the Holy City's best events will be held Thursday at 4:30 pm. That's when the South Carolina Aquarium's Sea Turtle Rescue Program will hold its latest sea turtle release at the Isle of Palms County Park.
As usual, the public is invited to attend the event. Although viewing the release is free, attendees should plan to pay for parking.
This time around, two different sea turtles will be returned to the ocean. Here's a look at each (click on their names to learn more):
- Hunley (pictured to the right)
- Adult female loggerhead sea turtle
- Recovered by an SCDNR research vessel in July
- She had severe injuries to her head, shell, and flipper
- It is believed she not only survived a shark attack, but also multiple boat propeller strikes
- Kemp’s ridley sea turtle
- He was admitted in May after being accidentally captured by a hopper dredge that was operating to deepen Charleston Harbor’s shipping lanes
- He had numerous abrasions and was diagnosed with severe bone infections in both front flippers and a lung bulla (a "non-functional bubble-like cavity in the lungs")