This coming April, the Charleston Outdoor Festival will return to the James Island County Park for its 27th year. The event will run from Friday, April 21st to Sunday, April 23rd.
The festival brings together enthusiasts of all ages and experience levels to celebrate the outdoor recreation community. The event features showcases for canoeing, kayaking, and stand up paddleboarding (SUP) and includes many outdoor recreation activities like mountain biking, slack lining, archery, climbing, and disc golf.
Featured areas and events include:
- The Try It Zone (Saturday and Sunday only)
- Participants can try their hand at an archery range, a bike obstacle course, a mountain bike short track, the Challenge Zone (activities and brain teasers), disc golf, climbing, and the slackline course. Plus, Try It pass holders can demo sea kayaks, SUPs, and canoes. Open select hours Saturday through Sunday.
- East Coast Paddlesports Symposium
- The symposium is a three-day immersion in the history, technique, hands-on experience, and fun of kayaking, canoeing, SUP and other paddlesports topics. Participants can sign up for classroom presentations and on-water classes from the world’s top instructors in dozens of topics. Programs range from beginner to expert level skill classes, to sessions on topics like birding by boat, kayak rolling, backcountry cooking, fishing, photography and much more.
- Palmetto Pump Climbing Competition (Sat.)
- Compete or just watch amazing climbing action at the Wall’s annual Palmetto Pump Climbing Competition. Some of the Southeast’s best will compete from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Island Toss Disc Golf Competition (Sat.)
- Disc golfers of all levels are invited to test their skills.
- Vendor Village
- Leading manufacturers and outfitters exhibit a wide variety of products in the Vendor Village. Here, you can try out boats and equipment, talk with vendors, and get a chance to try before buying.
You can register for the weekend package starting on January 1st, which will include classes, demos, competitions, and much more. For more information or to register, visit CharlestonCountyParks.com or call 843-795-4386.