With the 2018 Charleston Wine + Food festival (CHSWFF) just days away, Holy City Sinner decided to share a list of the best events under $100 that still have tickets available.
Hey, we can't all afford the big ticket events, so below are my top picks for those of us on a tight budget. All descriptions are provided by CHSWFF.
Thursday, March 1st
- Flavor by Design: Anything but Ordinary
- 10:30 am - 1 pm
- An architect, a builder and a chef walk into a bar…
That’s the story behind one of Charleston’s premiere dining rooms, The Ordinary. Join chef Mike Lata, builder Mark Regalbuto, and architect David Thompson as they share the secrets behind the acclaimed space. Top it all off with a visit to the American College of the Building Arts where you’ll meet an artisan who contributed to make The Ordinary anything but ordinary.
- The Brewmaster’s Table
- 12 pm - 1:15 pm
- Move over vino, beer is back! You’ll crack open a cold one with James Beard Award-Winner Garrett Oliver as he discusses the art of beer + food pairing. In an exclusive live-cooking demonstration, Garrett will prepare small bites to compliment your favorite frothy brews from Brooklyn Brewery.
Friday, March 2nd
- Business of Food
- 3 pm - 5:30 pm
- Join some of the culinary world’s biggest players for an afternoon full of lively discussion about the future of food. In a two-part panel discussion, panelists like Curtis Duffy, Angie Mar + Charleston’s own Sean Brock will take the stage to discuss topics like social change, heritage ingredients and how they’re pushing culinary boundaries. Grab a seat for this enlightening discussion you’ll only find at CHSWFF.
- Pecha Kucha + Choir! Choir! Choir!
- 7 pm - 11 pm
- Looking for an event to satisfy your stomach + your soul? Look no further than the fourth edition of Pecha Kucha, this time with a performance by Choir! Choir! Choir! The drill is simple. 8 speakers, 20 slides, 7 minutes.
However, you’ll feel the energy as the room comes alive with exciting insights from top-notch speakers and a musical performance that will leave you with goosebumps. Grab a bite from local food trucks to round out an altogether unforgettable night.
Saturday, March 3rd
- How 'bout Them Apples?
- 12 pm - 1:15 pm
- Learn more about the beverage world’s fastest growing segment—artisan cider—with James Beard Award finalist Diane Flynt, founder of Foggy Ridge Cider, and Noah Singerman, Sommelier from Husk Charleston. You’ll sample five ciders, from dry sparkling cider from Virginia to rich bittersweet cider from New York in this lively, informative romp through the world of fine cider, complete with advice on food pairings and heirloom apple lore.
- Iron Mixologist
- 1 pm - 2:15 pm
- Four of Charleston’s best bartenders will battle it out through three rounds of cocktail competition in hopes of taking the title, Iron Mixologist. Each bartender will have to bring creativity, speed, quick thinking and composure behind the bar as they face an imaginative kitchen pantry to impress a panel of top-shelf judges. Delicious cocktails, heart-pounding competition and pure fun make this a can’t miss event during festival weekend!
- Te Amo, Tequila
- 4 pm - 5:15 pm
- One tequila, two tequila, three tequila….Just kidding, this isn’t your Spring Break kind of tequila drinking experience. Morgan Hurley of Mex 1 Coastal Cantina, a local agave aficionado, will walk you through a tasting of six different tequilas. You’ll learn about cultivation, harvesting practices + how the various flavors are represented in the glass. You’ll leave in love.
- N. Chas Night Bazaar
- 8 pm - 10:30 pm
- No passports required for this globe-trotting culinary journey. A late night bash awaits you as you sample wines, cocktails + brews from around the world and sink your teeth into delicious bites from far off places. Dance the night away to DJ beats as you travel the world without ever leaving Charleston!
Sunday, March 4th
- Namaste Bubbly
- 9:30 am - 12 pm
- No champagne, no gain, right? This Sunday Funday will be filled 45 minutes of fizz-ical activity + healthy bites + sips as you find your zen with Sarah Frick of Charleston Power Yoga. Go with the flow for a morning guaranteed to be a downward dog’on good time.
- Becoming a Brewmaster
- 2 pm to 4 pm
- Enjoy a cold one with Head Brewer, Mark Fesche of Cooper River Brewing as he shows you the distinct and flavorful time honored brewing process of everyone’s favorite frothy beverage.
- 6 pm - 8:30 pm
- Time to toast another year of the Charleston Wine + Food festival! We’re capping off the 2018 festival with a barbecue bash full of smoky bites + brews set to the sounds of the rockin’ Plane Jane in a brand new location, Tradesman Brewing Co. Meat sweats are likely, great time guaranteed.
To see a full list of events, visit charlestonwineandfood.com/events