Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) will have digital magnifiers available for patrons to check out or use on-site at each of its 16 branches starting Tuesday, May 29th. Visually impaired library customers can use the magnifiers for reading assistance.
“We’re excited to add digital magnifiers to the long list of CCPL’s available services,” said Executive Director Nicolle Davies. “In addition to our collection of large print materials and audiobooks, the magnifiers will provide more opportunities for our customers to enjoy resources both within and outside the library.”
In addition to expanding resources for customers to view materials up close, CCPL is also modifying the circulation of its stargazing resources. Telescopes are now available to check out at each regional branch location, as well as the Main Library.
CCPL Features Three Types of Digital Magnifiers:
- The Smartlux Digital HD Magnifier is a portable hand-held device with a 5-inch LCD screen. This magnifier has a multitude of features, including five convenient magnification settings, five different viewing modes, and a stand included for reading and writing tasks.
- This magnifier is available for adults to check out from each CCPL location for a two-week period, with a renewal option for two additional periods. The Folly Beach and Poe/Sullivan’s Island branches will also have an additional device available for in-house use.
- The Visolux Digital HD Magnifier is a portable hand-held device that provides reading comfort through an extra-large 7” LCD screen with anti-glare coating, a high-definition camera, built-in stand, and many other features. The device’s unique Dynamic Line Scrolling (DLS) feature allows the user to scroll side to side on the screen in higher magnification levels without having to move the device. HDMI and USB ports also give users the option to transmit images directly to their computer and live stream to a television screen.
- This magnifier is available on a first come, first served basis for customers to use at select CCPL branches.
- The MagniLink Zip Desktop Video Magnifier is equipped with a full 13.3/17” high-definition monitor, a reading/distance camera and text-to-speech technology. The monitor has brightly colored screen edges, and the screen can be adjusted by height and titled forward and backward. This magnifier also features an anti-glare surface, provides crystal-clear sharpness, high contrast images, and a dimmer mode for light-sensitive users.
- This magnifier is available on a first come, first served basis for customers to use at Main Library and Hurd/St. Andrews Regional Library.
To check the availability status of portable magnifiers in the CCPL catalog, type “magnifier” in the catalog search bar.
CCPL Expands Telescope Availability:
Six Orion Starblast 4.5 telescopes are available for library customers to check out – one at each regional branch location, as well as the Main Library. Each telescope comes with a user guide, Audubon constellation book, and a headlight. This telescope was chosen because it is designed for amateur and intermediate astronomy enthusiasts.
Telescopes can be checked out from CCPL for seven days with an adult card, and a valid driver’s license is required since the telescopes must be secured by a seat belt during transportation.
By checking out telescopes, adults and families can explore and learn about astronomy, space exploration and stargazing through hands-on experience. Telescope checkout also supports the library’s mission of encouraging lifelong learning.
To learn more about library services or find a branch near you, visit www.ccpl.org.