Inspired by their back garden and Charleston’s summer harvest, Basic Kitchen invited six of their favorite local 'tastemakers' to create a signature salad to be featured on the menu for one week each, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting The Green Heart Project. This local non-profit works to educate Charleston youth through experiential learning; enhancing their education with school gardens, building healthy eating habits and building community.
BK’s Salad Project kicked off on July 22nd and offers guests the chance to sample a different salad each week and give back to the community. Chef Robin Hollis will work with local partners to bring their dream salad to the BK menu. The line-up is as follows:
- Week of July 22nd – Sarah Frick, founder of The Works
- Week of July 29th – Helen Hall, founder of Hushup X Hustle and Blender Bombs
- Week of August 5th – Stacy Smallwood, owner of Hampden Clothing
- Week of August 12th – Joey Welling, co-owner of Exemplar Fitness
- Week of August 19th – Jessica Murnane, author One Part Plant Cookbook + host of One Part Podcast
- Week of August 26th – Jacques Larson, chef and owner of Obstinate Daughter and Wild Olive
The series culminates in the ultimate salad celebration on Sunday, September 1st at 6:30 pm, with a garden party at Basic Kitchen. Guests are invited to join the Salad Project partners to sample each salad, sip on tasty cocktails, enjoy live music, and enter a raffle packed with local winnings. Tickets for the event are $25 and available here.
Basic Kitchen is located at 82 Wentworth Street and is open for dinner Monday - Saturday from 5:30 pm – 10 pm, with lunch service on Monday – Friday from 11 am – 3 pm, snacks from 3 pm - 5:30 pm, and weekend brunch from 9 am – 3 pm. Reservations are available on Resy. For more information visit basickitchen.com.