Turning Page Bookshop will be hosting Live 5 News meteorologist Bill Walsh on Saturday, September 7th. He will be signing copies of his latest book, Uncle Danny from 10 am to 12 pm.
When Walsh is not predicting Lowcountry weather, he is writing fiction under his pen name, W.F. Walsh.
Here's a description of Uncle Danny by the publisher:
Danny Walsh, aka “Uncle Danny,” along with Owney “The Killer” Madden and William “Big Bill” Dwyer ran an organized crime syndicate called the Big Seven, and nothing stood in their way. If something did, it was dealt with. Violence and payoffs were part of the game they played throughout prohibition making millions on illegal booze.
Al Capone ran Chicago. The North End Gang ran Boston. The Big Seven ran New York, New England, and just about everything else. Tensions over territory and supply led to gang warfare as cash money continued to roll in.
Everyone wanted a piece of the action no matter what the price. This action-packed novel is based on three true characters and a snapshot of a violent era gone by. Uncle Danny is one family
member you don’t mess with.
In addition to Walsh's book signing, Turning Page will host several other events in the coming months:
- A writer’s workshop hosted by Penwork Publishing will be at the store September 14th from 12 pm to 2 pm
- The workshop will be instructed by Penwork owner and local author Lataryn Rainey-Perry
- The cost of the workshop is $25 and there is limited seating
- Local historian and college professor Damon Fordham will be signing on September 27th from 2 pm to 5 pm
- He will be signing several of his books, including True Stories of Black South Carolina and Voices of Black South Carolina: Legend and Legacy
- Jonny Caldwell and Taneka Reaves, also known as the Cocktail Bandits, will be at the store October 2nd from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- They will be signing copies of their book Holy Sprits! Charleston Culture Through Cocktails
Other Events at Turning Pages:
- Kathryn Smith Book Signing: August 31 at 6 pm
- Smith will be signing copies of her book Gertie: The Fabulous Life of Gertrude Sanford Legendre
- Book Club Groupies Meeting: September 7 at 6 pm
- The book club will be discussing books that were finalists of The Tonight Show’s Summer Reads voting contest
- Anthony Moore Book Signing: September 14 at 11 am
- Moore will be signing books from the "SandBox Kids" series, including the latest On My Way.
- Makayla Tyler and Cheryl Greer Book Signing: November 30 at 12 pm
- Tyler and Greer will be signing copies of their book Love 7: Positive Character Traits for Children
- Throughout November and December, there will be Holiday Open Houses at the store with local and regional authors signing their books and crafts created by local artists
Turning Page Bookshop is located on 216 St. James Avenue, Unit F. Hours are from 10 am to 7 pm Monday through Thursday and 10 am to 8 pm Fridays and Saturdays.
For more information, call 843-501-7223 or email at [email protected]. You can also visit the website at www.turningpagebookshop.com and like their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/turningpagebookshop/.