To encourage the estimated 34.2 million tobacco users in the U.S. to kick the dangerous habit, WalletHub calculated the potential monetary losses — including the lifetime and annual costs of a cigarette pack per day, health care expenditures, income losses and other costs — brought on by smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke.
The Financial Cost of Smoking in South Carolina (1=Lowest, 25=Avg.):
- Out-of-Pocket Cost per Smoker – $91,400 (Rank: 5th)
- Financial-Opportunity Cost per Smoker – $801,282 (Rank: 5th)
- Health-Care Cost per Smoker – $131,271 (Rank: 8th)
- Income Loss per Smoker – $213,408 (Rank: 9th)
- Other Costs per Smoker – $12,526 (Rank: 29th)
- Total Cost Over Lifetime per Smoker: $1,249,887
- Total Cost per Year per Smoker: $24,508
To see the full report, click here.