To determine where black Americans are most engaged in the political process, WalletHub compared 49 states across six key metrics. They include black voter turnout and registration during the most recent midterm and presidential elections as well as the proportional representation of blacks in the state legislature and national party conventions.
Political Engagement of African Americans in South Carolina (1=Most Politically Engaged; 24=Avg.)
- 11th – Black Voter Turnout (2016 Presidential Election)
- 14th – Black Voter Turnout (2018 Midterm Elections)
- 9th – Black Voter Registration (2016 Presidential Election)
- 18th – Black Voter Registration (2018 Midterm Elections)
- 1st – Proportional Representation of Blacks in State Legislature
- 1st – Proportional Representation of Blacks in National Party Conventions
To see the full report, click here.