Charleston County Public Library (CCPL) is joining the nation in celebrating the National Education Association's (NEA) 22nd Annual Read Across America event on Monday, March 2nd. Several library branches will host celebrity readers during events that day.
Read Across America celebrates Dr. Seuss' birthday and the joy of reading. More than 45 million readers of all ages are expected to pick up a book and read during associated events held nationwide on March 2nd.
To honor the good doctor and celebrate the fun and value of reading, CCPL is asking patrons to join NEA and many of America's leading literacy, youth, and civic groups in bringing a nation of readers together under one hat – the red and white stovepipe made famous by the Cat in the Hat – for a flurry of reading excitement!
Check out the schedule of CCPL events listed below, and get ready to enjoy listening to Dr. Seuss favorites as we celebrate his birthday with local celebrities:
- Main Library at 9:30 am with News Anchor Raphael James (Live 5 News-WCSC), and Meteorologist Emily Gracey (ABC News 4-WCIV)
- Village Library at 10 am with Mount Pleasant Fire Chief Mike Mixon and News Anchor Octavia Mitchell (News 2-WCBD)
- Baxter-Patrick James Island at 10:30 am with Traffic Anchor Trooper Bob (ABC News 4-WCIV), CCPL Board Member Leah Crosby, and Jonetta Gregory, Principal of James Island Elementary School
- Cooper River Memorial Library at 10:30 am with NCFD Battalion Chief Eric Phillips
- Dart Library at 10:30 am with News Anchor Carolyn Murray (News 2-WCBD)
- Dorchester Road Library at 10:30 am with Charlie T. RiverDog, mascot of the Charleston RiverDogs baseball team.
- Folly Beach Library at 10:30 am with Folly Beach Mayor Tim Goodwin and Rev. Richard Summey from Folly Beach Baptist Church
- Hurd/St. Andrews Library at 10:30 am - Special Toddler Storytime
- Mt. Pleasant Regional Library at 10:30 am with News Anchor Brad Franko (News 2-WCBD)
- Otranto Road Library at 10:30 am with a firefighter from the North Charleston Fire Department
- Wando Mount Pleasant Library at 10:30 am with News Anchor Dean Stephens (ABC News 4-WCIV)
- Poe/Sullivan’s Island Library at 3 pm with Sullivan’s Island Mayor Pat O’Neil
- McClellanville Library at 3:30 pm with a Firefighter from the Awendaw-McClellanville Fire Department
- West Ashley Library at 3:30 p. with Charleston Police Department Deputy Chief Naomi Broughton
The National Education Association is the nation's largest professional employee organization, representing 3.2 million elementary and secondary teachers, college faculty, school administrators, education support professionals, retired educators and students preparing to become teachers.
CCPL encourages patrons to share their Read Across America experience by using #RAAchs on social media. Follow CCPL on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by searching for ChasCoLibrary within those platforms.