Charleston County Government announces lane shifts and closures on Maybank Highway and River Road beginning Sunday, July 12. Crews will be working on the turn lane extension. All work is weather permitting.
- One lane of eastbound traffic from Johns Island to James Island will be shifted into the median.
- One lane will be closed to westbound traffic coming from James Island to Johns Island.
- The lane shift/closure will occur between the hours of 9 pm to 6 am
- During this time, the speed limit will be reduced, and flaggers will direct traffic.
- Drivers traveling through the construction zone are asked to be aware of equipment and crews working in the area at all times.
This project includes installation of an additional left turn lane onto River Road from Maybank Highway and an acceleration lane on Maybank Highway, as well as signal improvements. The project is intended to alleviate congestion currently experienced at the intersection during peak hours. Construction is expected to be completed in early 2021.
Visit the official website at http://roads.charlestoncounty.org for public meeting notices and up-to-date news and information about all Charleston County Transportation Sales Tax road projects. Anyone with questions about the project can call Charleston County’s Public Works Department at (843) 202-6137.