Personal finance website WalletHub this week released its report on 2020’s States with the Best Elder-Abuse Protections and South Carolina was listed as the 2nd worst in the country. The Palmetto State had the same ranking a year ago.
To determine which states fight the hardest against elder abuse, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 16 key metrics. The data set ranges from “elder-abuse, gross-neglect and exploitation complaints” to “financial elder-abuse laws.”
Elder-Abuse Protections in South Carolina (1=Best; 25=Avg.):
- 49th – Elder-Abuse, Gross-Neglect & Exploitation Complaints*
- 41st – Total Expenditures on Elder-Abuse Prevention*
- 18th – Total Long-Term Care Ombudsman-Program Funding*
- 42nd – Number of Eldercare Organizations & Services*
- 29th – Number of Certified Volunteer Ombudsmen*
- 31st – Nursing-Homes Quality
*Per resident aged 65+
To see the full report, click here.