On Thursday, February 18th from noon to 1 pm, Trident United Way will lead a conversation on race and health equity in an online forum designed to dispel myths and raise awareness of how vital it is for everyone to receive a COVID-19 vaccination as soon as they become eligible.
Presenters will give detailed data showing FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective for all racial groups. Additional topics will include:
- How health inequalities have impacted communities of color, leading to mistrust. Mistrust is not about past issues in healthcare; it’s a present-day problem.
- Addressing vaccine hesitancy in Black and other communities with serious health disparities.
- Vaccine hesitancy can be changed with engagement, information and understanding.
The event will feature these experts:
- Emma Frazier, Ph.D. – Epidemiologist, SC DHEC
- Ashley Green – Data Analyst, SC DHEC
- Anton Gunn – President & CEO, 937 Strategy Group
Click this link for access to the event on February 18th at noon.
A recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll of adults shows clear racial differences when asked if they will “wait and see” if a COVID-19 vaccine works before taking it:
- 43% Black, 37% Hispanic, 26% White
The forum will urge everyone, especially people of color, to realize the danger of not getting a vaccine. A recent New York Times profile highlights reluctancy in the Black community:
- Philadelphia – 44% Black population, 12% vaccine recipients
- New York City – 24% Black population, 11% vaccine recipients
- Miami-Dade County – 17% Black population, 7% vaccine recipients
The forum is the first of a Healthy Tri-County three-part series scheduled for 2021, which looks at how health and race equity issues are closely linked.
Preservation Society will Offer Lineup of Diverse Tours and Events this May
In celebration of National Preservation Month, the Preservation Society of Charleston (PSC) will host a series of in-person and virtual...
Ohm Radio Announces Farewell to Workshop Party
New Nonprofit Addressing Trauma to Host Launch Event on April 18th
Edmund’s Oast and Kings Leaf Cigars Partnering for “The Palmetto Puff” Fuente Cigar Dinner
Hermosa Jewelry and Brown Fox Coffee Partner for April Artisan Market
Annual North Charleston Arts Fest Set for April 28th to May 2nd
Local nonprofit Going Places to Host Charity Gala on May 15th
Uncategorized3 months ago
Types Of Personal Loans
Uncategorized1 year ago
Signs Your Third Eye Is Starting To See
Site Updates3 years ago
HCS Patreon Supporters
Charity6 years ago
Charleston Nonprofits & Charities
Resources8 years ago
Uncategorized9 months ago
How to Use Instagram For Your Music Career?
Events18 hours ago
Weekend Buzz: Fun Things To Do In Charleston This Weekend
Food6 years ago
Charleston’s Food Trucks